At Anoka Technical College, the ACCUPLACER Assessment is used to assess current skills levels in reading, writing and math. Although the test is not pass/fail, results do determine what course placements are most appropriate for student success. The ACCUPLACER Assessment is typically needed for acceptance.
*Beginning Fall 2021, Anoka Technical College is a Course Placement Pilot Project participant, reviewing student records for college-level course prerequisites which can be met through qualifying standardized test scores from ACCUPLACER (NGA/Classic), ACT, MCA, SAT, through a combination of qualifying scores plus a qualifying high school GPA, with qualifying stand-alone high school GPA and through use of Guided Self-Placement.
Students who meet college-level course prerequisites may be exempted from taking any or all portions of ACCUPLACER based on documentation provided. After your application has been received, you will be contacted by a member of Enrollment Services with your next steps for acceptance.
Location & Policies
- The Testing Center is located in Rm 103, near the main entrance to the college.
- View the ACCUPLACER Test Schedule for walk-in testing days and times for current or prospective students.
- ACCUPLACER testing from another location (remote site) OR for another school requires a voucher and is no longer offered.
- Students will be required to show a current Photo ID. How to Obtain a Minnesota ID Card
- Hand-held calculators are not permitted. An electronic calculator will be provided on some questions, but not all. Scratch paper and pencil will be provided. Additionally. the following items will not be permitted in the testing room: food, beverages, backpacks, purses, cell phones, watches, electronic devices, sunglasses and hats.
- The test is not timed. Most students finish in 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Policy 3.2 Children in Classrooms. Children are not permitted in the Testing Center and must not be left unattended.
- Results are immediate and help students select courses.
Prepare & Take Your Time
Students who score at the college-level will save significant tuition and textbook dollars that may otherwise be necessary for developmental or remedial coursework. Remedial courses do not count toward a certificate, diploma or degree and typically do not transfer.
Resources and tips to prepare for ACCUPLACER
More about ACCUPLACER Testing at Anoka Tech
ACCUPLACER testing is available for scheduled, on campus, walk-in or remote services (for current students or applicants ONLY) during Fall and Spring Semesters on:
- Monday 1 to 4 pm (REMOTE ONLY)
- Tuesday 8 am to 4 pm *last admit for morning session is 10 am and last admit for afternoon session is 2:30 pm (SCHEDULED ON CAMPUS/WALK-IN)
- Wednesday 8 am to 4 pm *last admit for morning session is 10 am and last admit for afternoon session is 2:30 pm (SCHEDULED ON CAMPUS/WALK-IN)
- Thursday 8 am to 4 pm *last admit for morning session is 10 am and last admit for afternoon session is 2:30 pm (SCHEDULED ON CAMPUS/WALK-IN)
- Friday 8 am to 12 pm (REMOTE ONLY)
Appointments are highly encouraged and will take priority over walk-ins.
Please note, the Testing Center closes from 12 pm to 1 pm each day.
As an alternative to in-person testing, the Testing Center is continuing to offer remote ACCUPLACER testing via Zoom (video conferencing). This is available to Anoka Technical College current students or applicants who meet the following technology requirements:
- Computer/laptop with a stable internet connection
- a webcam and headphones
NOTE: cellphones, iPads, Surface and other tablets will not work.
Jan. 31, 2024 8 am to 1 pm for staff training
March 14, 2024
June 17, 2024 to June 21, 2024
Please note, the Testing Center is closed during all college closures and holidays. See college calendar(s) for more details.
Policy 4.3.1 Weather and Emergency Closings or Cancellations
Students are strongly encouraged to study before testing.
Anoka Technical College administers the Next Generation ACCUPLACER . Find preparation resources below, including official Next Generation ACCUPLACER sample questions.
Students should prepare to take the following sub-tests:
Students enrolling in programs that include college-level math coursework may also take these sub-tests:
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS)
- Advanced Algebra and Functions (AAF)
- Next-Generation Learning Resources - Located on a student's "Individual Score Report" near the bottom. Clickable links when viewing electronically, that are a series of free custom learning resources based on a student's generated scores.
- Official ACCUPLACER Study App
- Official Next-Gen ACCUPLACER Sample Reading Questions
- Official Next-Gen ACCUPLACER Sample Arithmetic Questions
- Official Next-Gen ACCUPLACER Sample Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Questions (QAS)
- Official Sample Advanced Algebra and Functions Questions (AAF)
- Test Prep Review
- Study Guide Zone
- Khan Academy
Students who demonstrate readiness to succeed in college with qualifying ACT, MCA or SAT test scores will not be required to take all or part of ACCUPLACER. Exemption is based on documentation of scores equal to or above the Minnesota State system-endorsed minimum qualifying scores noted below.
ACT Minimum Qualifying Scores
- 21 Reading
- 18 English
- 20 or 22 Mathematics - dependent on course prerequisite
MCA Minimum Qualifying Scores
- 1047 Reading
- 1148, 1150 or 1158 Mathematics - dependent on course prerequisite
SAT Minimum Qualifying Scores
- 480 Evidence-based Reading and Writing
- 530 Mathematics
Time validation: ACT, MCA and SAT scores are valid for five (5) years, inclusive of the current calendar year.
Students who wish to utilize their ACT or SAT scores are responsible to forward an official copy to:
Anoka Technical College
ATTN: Records Office
1355 W HWY 10
Anoka MN 55303
Students can request that MCA scores be sent to Anoka Tech by (1) contacting their high school directly or (2) signing the High School Release of Information form on the Anoka Tech Undergraduate Online Application.
Placement Charts: Qualifying test scores may facilitate registration into college-level courses that have prerequisites based on correlating ACCUPLACER scores. Students should refer to their selected program plan for details about their program and course requirements.
Students with degrees / transfer students
Students who have completed a college-level math or English course at another college, or who hold an associate's or bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution of higher learning, may send an official copy of their transcript to the Records Office to be reviewed for possible waiver from all or parts of ACCUPLACER.
- Students who have previously attended a Minnesota State college or university - Anoka Tech can retrieve your transcript free of charge.
- Students who have attended a non-Minnesota State institution - send a transcript to Anoka Technical College, ATTN Records Office, 1355 W HWY 10, Anoka MN 55303.
Accessibility Services provides services for students, faculty and staff with a permanent or temporary disability.
Test accommodations are determined on an individual basis during review of documentation between the person requesting services and the Office of Accessibility. To arrange a meeting, contact the Office of Accessibility at 763-576-7950 or Office of Accessibility
Appointments should be made well ahead of the intended test date to allow time for processing and implementation of approved accommodations. See Accessibility Services' website for more information.
Students not satisfied with their placements may retest only once (per test section) within twelve (12) months of the first testing date.
There is a $10 retest fee for each retest.
Students are strongly encouraged to review before retesting.
There is no waiting period prior to retesting, with the exception of students retesting to meet federal Ability to Benefit guidelines.
View Test Results
ACCUPLACER tests taken at Anoka Technical College can be viewed through the ACCUPLACER Student Portal. Click the link below to access your ACCUPLACER scores.
Send Scores to Another Institution
- Minnesota State: ACCUPLACER assessment data is auto-loaded to the Minnesota State system database therefore test results are already visible to other system campuses, with no need to send score reports to other Minnesota State schools.
- All Other: Print, complete and return the Request for ACCUPLACER Score Report form per the instructions noted on the form. Scores are released within seven (7) working days.
General Student Admission
To qualify for federal student aid students must possess a high school diploma or GED.
Earn your GED - work with Metro North Adult Basic Education, conveniently located on-campus, in the Student Success Center, Room 190