Policy 3.17 Credit for Prior LearningPurpose
The purpose of this policy is to provide students with opportunities to demonstrate college-level learning gained in non-credit or experiential settings. Credit for prior learning (CPL) shall be granted according to the standards and equivalencies of the American Council on Education or the equivalent.
Types of Prior Learning:
Examination programs mandated by Minnesota State board policy
- Advanced Placement (AP) Exams. The Advanced Placement (AP) Program provides high school students the opportunity to participate in classes that are more rigorous and more in-depth than other high school offerings. The College Board evaluates and recommends credit for each score of three or more on the five-point Advanced Placement exams. A student must arrange for an official report of AP examination scores to be sent to Anoka Technical College (ATC) in order to receive credit.
- College Level Exam Program (CLEP). CLEP is a testing program of The College Board designed to measure prior learning. A student may earn college credits by achieving a specified level of performance on a CLEP examination. ATC shall grant credit for CLEP examinations according to the Minnesota State Board Policies and Procedures at http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/333.html. A student must arrange for an official report of CLEP examination scores to be sent to ATC in order to receive credit.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams (or completion of an IB Diploma). The IB Program is an internationally recognized program through which a secondary student completes a comprehensive curriculum of rigorous study and demonstrates performance on IB examinations. ATC shall grant credit for IB according to Minnesota State Board Policies and procedures at http://www.mnscu.edu/board/procedure/316p1.html. A student must arrange for an official report of IB examination scores to be sent to ATC in order to receive credit.
Other Nationally Recognized Examination Programs
- Thomas Edison College Examination Program (TECEP)
- Excelsior Examinations, New York Foreign Language Proficiency (NYUFLP)
- National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
Credit for Military Education and Experience
ATC follows Minnesota Statues 197.775, Subdivision 2, Recognition of Courses, which directs Minnesota State institutions to recognize courses and award credit for a veteran's military training or service if the courses meet the standards of the American Council in Education (ACE) or the equivalent. An official copy of the student's JST transcript is required for evaluation and must be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration.
Articulated College Credit (Formerly Tech Prep)
Students who have obtained a valid Tech Prep Certificate for one or more courses from their high school should present the certificate(s) to the Office of Records and Registration at the time of registration. The student will receive credit for these courses and the course(s) will be designated on the student's transcript as transfer.The certificates are valid for the length of time stated on the certificate.
Credit by Examination (administered by Anoka Technical College faculty)
A student may test out of certain parts of the curriculum (with faculty approval). Test-outs will be constructed by the instructor and reflect the content of the course identified in the course syllabus. A minimum cut-off score will be used to determine pass or fail by each department. A test-out must be completed within the drop/add period at the beginning of the term. The cost per credit is $75.
Resident Credit: Credit for Prior Learning does not count towards the residency requirement needed for graduation.
Recording of Credit Granted: Credit awarded to prior learning or earned by examination is recorded on a student's transcript as transfer credit.