Grading Considerations related to COVID-19 for Spring Semester 2020

Recognizing the burden students are currently experiencing related to COVID-19 and the quick transition to remote course delivery, as a means of supporting our students during these unprecedented times, Anoka Technical College is offering the following grading options for the Spring 2020 academic term:

  1. "In-Progress" (IP) Grades - Gives students the chance to complete coursework after the semester ends without paying for the course again.
  2. Changing Grading Option to Pass/No Credit (P/NC) - Allows students to change from a standard letter grading option (A-F) to a Pass/No Credit (P/NC) grading option when allowed by the student's program, funding sources, and future academic plans. Some students and programs may not be eligible for this option. See additional documentation in the “Changing Grading Option to Pass/No Credit (P/NC)” section.
  3. Extension of Withdrawal Deadlines – Allows students more time to make the decision to stay in class or withdraw. The withdrawal deadline was extended until the 90% point of the semester (for full-semester courses) or 90% of the class meeting dates. 

In-Progress (IP) Grades

What Is It?

An In-Progress (IP) grade gives students a chance to complete coursework after the semester ends. Students do not pay for the course again. An IP grade:

  • Has no impact on GPA and no impact on completion rate
  • Allows the student to receive an A-F grade when finished with the work
  • Allows students more time to complete the work. The timeline is agreed-upon between the instructor and student and can be as long as December 18, 2020.
    • An academic petition can be filed to extend completion deadline if needed
  • Will turn into an NC grade if the faculty member has not entered a grade prior to the next semester’s grading deadline. For those programs that are not allowed to give NC grades (see exceptions document), an F grade will be assigned if the instructor has not entered the earned grade by the next semester’s grading deadline. Faculty will be able to enter the earned grade prior to the next semester’s grading deadline using the “Grade Change” feature in faculty eServices.

How Does It Work?

The instructor will give the student an “IP” grade at the end of the course if the student was participating in the course before March 13, 2020, and is unable to complete the work by May 15, 2020. This grade is issued for two cases: 

  • The course cannot be completed at this time due to circumstances out of the college’s control (e.g. lack of access to clinical sites, or inability to demonstrate skills without access to specific equipment)
  • The student cannot complete the course at this time. In this case, the instructor and student will complete the “Agreement of Incomplete Grade” form for each course to outline the work to be completed and timeline for completion. The instructor will forward the signed form to


A student’s workload may increase the following semester since the student will be completing work in the current semester in addition to completing the work for the course with the “IP” grade.

For some students, the best option may be to continue the course through the end of the semester with a P/NC grade method instead of opting for an "IP" grade, provided the program allows the P/NC grading option.

Courses with IP grades are not included in the next semester’s credit load for financial aid and enrollment purposes. However, students do not pay for the course again.


Changing Grading Option to Pass/No Credit (P/NC)

What Is It?

Pass/No Credit (P/NC) is an alternate grading method that does not impact Grade Point Average (GPA). Most courses use standard A-F letter grades, but this option is being offered for select courses and programs for Spring 2020 semester only. A grade of “P” counts as a completed course and is counted in the course completion rate.

Students are required to participate in all courses activities, assignments, and assessments. Faculty will grade all activities, assignments, and assessments and determine a final grade. Faculty will record the final grad in eServices as usual.

How Does It Work?

Students must complete the online “Spring 2020 Grade Method Change” form to change to the Pass/No Credit (P/NC) grading option on specified courses by May 22, 2020, after consultation with their faculty advisor. Please note: Not all courses and programs are eligible for the P/NC grading method. Find your program here to determine if this change is an option for you.

The Records Office will review all requests submitted by the deadline. For applicable courses and programs, the Records Office will change grades of “A,” “B,” “C,” or “D” to a “P” grade. Grades of “F” will be changed to “NC”. 


Before deciding to change grading methods, students should have a discussion with their faculty advisor (listed in eServices on course schedule and Degree Audit Report) to determine if their program and courses are eligible for the grading method. The discussion should also cover any unforeseen consequences of switching to P/NC grades.

  • Courses earning a grade of “P” will count toward credits to graduate, but courses earning a grade of “NC” do not earn credits and will not fulfill graduation requirements.
  • Accreditation requirements within a major may prohibit P/NC grades. Many accrediting bodies and other entities recognize the unprecedented nature of this semester across the nation and are adjusting such requirements. Find your program here to determine if this change is an option for you.
  • Students planning to transfer should talk with a transfer advisor at the receiving institution to determine if courses with a “P” grade will transfer to the receiving institution. All Minnesota State colleges and universities are required to accept a P grade (from Spring 2020) in transfer for Minnesota Transfer Curriculum courses.
  • Course prerequisites that require a certain grade will not be satisfied with a “P” grade.
  • If a student is in a course or program that requires certain grades, the student should consult with their faculty advisor or the department offering the course with questions regarding their requirements.
  • Students on academic warning should talk with a coach in Enrollment Services (763-576-7710) to determine the effect the P/NC grades might have on their academic standing.
  • All veterans and service members should discuss grading options with Angie Homan ( or 763-576-4006), School Certifying Official (SCO), to ensure there are no negative consequences for selecting certain grading options.
  • Students whose tuition and fees are paid by another entity (ex. CareerForce, Dislocated Workers, WIOA, employer, etc.) should consult with that entity before changing to the P/NC grading option.
  • Students using state and/or federal financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid Office ( or 763-576-7730) to determine the effect the grading options might have on their financial aid status.
  • Students on scholarships should review the scholarship requirements with the scholarship provider to determine if P/NC grades will impact their scholarship eligibility.
  • PSEO students should discuss these options with their high school counselors.

Extension of Deadline to Withdraw

What Is It?

Minnesota State has extended the deadline to ask for a withdrawal (receive a “W” grade) to 90 percent of the term or class meeting dates. 

How Does It Work?

Students in full-term courses can withdraw (and get a grade of W) at any point between now and 90 percent of the student’s course, which is May 4. Students who are in shorter-term courses should review the new withdrawal deadline on their printable course schedule in eServices. A spring semester 2020 withdrawal “W” processed March 13 or later will not be counted as an attempted but not completed course in your course completion rate for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Withdrawals “W” will not satisfy graduation requirements, however.


Students should speak with the instructor of the course and their faculty advisor to determine if completing the course or receiving an extension to complete (IP grade) are better options than withdrawing. This may be the best option for students who are currently on warning and probation and are doing poorly in class.