Transferring Credits into Anoka Technical College
*Official transcript must be received in a sealed envelope with seal intact. Student copies and faxed transcripts are not considered official.
General Guidelines for Transfer of Credit
Anoka Tech will consider:
- Courses applicable to a student's certificate, diploma or degree.
- Transfer courses determined by Anoka Tech to be comparable or equivalent to currently offered Anoka Tech courses.
- College-level courses accepted in transfer that are not determined comparable/equivalent to specific Anoka Tech courses shall be accepted as electives.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national program that tests student’s mastery in college-level material for a variety of undergraduate college courses. Anoka Tech CLEP test list and cut score requirements.
- Advanced Placement (AP) classes offered in most Minnesota high schools with standardized tests and cut scores equivalent to college level courses. Anoka Tech AP test list and cut score requirements.
- Credit for Prior Learning is done on an individual level with faculty evaluating student mastery of college level skills and knowledge.
- Articulated College Credit (Tech Prep)
- Military Education Experience may be eligible for college credit through evaluations established by the American Council on Education (ACE).
Transfer Credits and Grades
- Transfer credits do not impact a student's grade point average (GPA).
- Courses transferred in will be recorded on the transcript under the "transfer credits" section.
- One third of the Anoka Tech program requirements may be courses transferred in or accepted through prior learning (Credit by Examination, CLEP, Advance Placement, etc.).
- Anoka Technical College will accept courses from other institutions with grades of D or higher.
- Grades of D or higher may or may not be accepted by individual programs due to varying program policies regarding acceptable grades for graduation.
Transfer Options - Credits in/Credits out
Articulation agreements are transfer agreements with specific programs and partnering schools. These agreements detail how specific courses transfer to a specific program at the partnering school. For a complete list of Anoka Tech’s articulation agreements listed by program please see this Minnesota Transfer link
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
MnTC is a 40-credit liberal arts education that transfers between all Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU).
- Anoka Tech will accept any MnTC course as determined and documented in the student’s official transcript from the sending MnSCU school.
- All Anoka Tech courses designated MnTC curriculum are accepted at all other MnSCU schools through the transfer process.
- Students cannot satisfy the entire 40-credit Minnesota Transfer Curriculum at Anoka Tech.
- Anoka Tech students are not required to complete courses in all MnTC goal areas.
There is no guarantee that general education courses from private and non-MnSCU colleges will satisfy MnTC goals. General education courses from private and non-MnSCU colleges are evaluated on an individual basis.
Transfer of Technical Credits
Transfer-in of technical credits will be considered for courses that have been completed within five years prior to application for admission to Anoka Tech. Students with technical courses which were completed more than five years prior to application may be able to use the Credit for Prior Learning process to demonstrate course content mastery and receive credit.
Appeal Transfer Evaluation
To appeal a transfer decision:
- Complete an Appeal of Transfer Credit Form .
- Attach all relevant documents
- Submit the appeal to the Office of Records and Registration
- If a student is not satisfied with the Transfer Appeal decision, the student may appeal this decision at the system level to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs. The decision of the Senior Vice Chancellor is binding.
Additional transfer resources
Minnesota Transfer Web site is the official guide for seamless transfer in Minnesota Higher Education.
Transferology is a nation-wide network designed to help you answer the question "Will my courses transfer?" You may enter coursework, exams, and/or military learning experiences, then discover in a single click how many schools in the Transferology network have matching courses that may be awarded when you transfer. Schools are ranked by the percentage of coursework they accept in transfer, though you may focus the results with a number of handy filters and sorts, including how your courses transfer into a specific program at another college or university. Details of how those courses will count are available with another click or two, and you can inform schools of your interest in transferring by asking about specific programs, campus visits, and/or coursework that has not yet been evaluated by the school.
For further information about which general education courses are required for an academic program, visit our Programs and Courses