Supervisor's are responsible for monitoring sick leave use. Sick leave is to be used according to the guidelines in the collective bargaining agreements. Abusing sick leave time may result in disciplinary action. For more information, review the collective bargaining agreements and the State Wide Policy on Sick Leave.
Absence Management Tips
- Monitor employee attendance through e-time.
- Keep your copies of employee leave requests.
- Look for signs that suggest abuse of sick leave (calling in on Mondays and Fridays; or after holidays and vacations).
- Talk - ask employee questions about absences.
- Follow up conversations in writing.
- If appropriate, refer your employee to Employee Assistance Program.
- If the problem continues, work with the human resources department; request in writing a medical certification for use of all sick leave.
- Contact Human Resources for additional information.