Secondary Technical Education Program (STEP)
Welcome and thank you for showing interest in the Secondary Technical Education (STEP) Program at Anoka Technical College!
STEP is a high school in the Anoka-Hennepin School District, located on the campus of Anoka Technical College. Students can explore careers, take academic courses, and have the opportunity to earn both high school and college credit.
A variety of Anoka Technical College courses are taught at STEP. The classes are FREE to eligible students and can save students and their families hundreds of dollars in college tuition!
STEP is an option for:
Students in grades 10, 11 or 12
Students who learn best in “hands-on” activities
Students who want to explore advanced career and technical education
Students who are ready to prepare for highly skilled technical workplaces
What about transportation?
Students who attend STEP may drive or take the bus to and from their home high school.
What is the registration process?
All registrations are done through the high school registration process. Please see your school counselor for more information.
What is the schedule?
FULL DAY STUDENTS may attend one career class and three academic classes OR they may attend one career class, one plus class and two academic classes for each trimester they attend full-time at STEP
HALF DAY STUDENTS attend a career course and take their remaining courses at the home high school.
Anoka Tech courses for college credit taught at STEP
A variety of Anoka Technical College courses are taught at STEP. The classes are FREE to eligible students and can save students hundreds of dollars! Students interested in college credit must complete the application process by the end of the first week of the trimester.
- Accounting and Financial Careers II
- Emergency Medical Careers I
- Emergency Medical Careers II
- Welding Technology II – SMAW/GTAW
Applying to the college is easy!
Students need to be admitted to Anoka Technical College in order to earn college credits.
- Complete the online application
- Submit a high school transcript to Anoka Technical College.
Qualifying for Automatic Admission
Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible if they’ve earned a passing score on the 8th grade Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment in reading.
Other ways for juniors and seniors to qualify automatically are listed below:
- Seniors need to rank in the upper 1/2 of their class or have earned a score at or above the 50th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test (ACT, SAT, PLAN, PSAT, etc.)
- Juniors need to rank in the upper 1/3 of their class or have earned a score at or above the 70th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test (ACT, SAT, PLAN, PSAT, etc.)
Students who do not meet automatic admission requirements may still qualify. We encourage students to do one of the following:
- submit a two-page, typed, double-spaced essay using a 12pt. font explaining why you are interested in taking college credits and how you plan to be successful in the class(es).
- participate in an interview at Anoka Technical College staff to explain why you are interested in taking college credits and how you plan to be successful in the class(es).
Feel free to contact Enrollment Services or 763-576-4850!
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.