The Anoka Technical College Sterile Processing certificate is a 28-credit program that prepares graduates to work in medical facilities that prepare surgical instruments, supplies and equipment necessary for healthcare. This program includes a broad introduction to health sciences, as well as medical language, communication and computers.
Students study the following:
- Sterile Storage
The Sterile Processing certificate is a prerequisite to the Surgical Technology Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree.
Some courses may require appropriate test score or completion of basic math, basic English and/or reading courses with a "C" or better.
- BIOL 1106 Principles of Biology requires a Reading score of 78 or higher on the Accuplacer, or appropriate test score, or completion of READ 0900 or READ 0960.
- BIOL 1106 Principles of Biology is a prerequisite to BIOL 2100 Anatomy & Physiology I.
- BIOL 2100 Anatomy & Physiology I is a prerequisite to BIOL 2200 Anatomy & Physiology II.
Program Learning Outcomes
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning outcomes.
- Prepared for entry-level employment in a sterile processing position.
- Eligible to take the certification examination following 400 hours of professional employment.
- Eligible to apply to the AAS Surgical Technology Program
| FULL-TIME Sequence
*BIOL 1106 Principles of Biology is a Prerequisite course for BIOL 2100 A & P 1. A grade of 80% or better is required.
**BIOL 1106 Principles of Biology requires a Reading score of 78 or higher on the Accuplacer, appropriate test scores or completion of READ 0900.
| BIOL 1106
| Principles of Biology
| COMP 1002
|| Computer Technologies for Communication
| Second Semester
| BIOL 2100
|| Anatomy & Physiology I
| HLTH 1040
|| Medical Terminology
| PSYC 1406 OR 1506 OR 1606
| General Psychology/Lifespan Development/Abnormal Psychology
| Third Semester
| BIOL 2200
|| Anatomy & Physiology II
| SPCH 1120 OR 1200 OR 1500
| Public Speaking/Interpersonal Communication/Intercultural Communication
| SURG 1003
|| Sterile Processing
| SURG 1005
|| Surgical Microbiology
Successful completion of the Sterile Processing certificate with a grade of B or higher in all required Biology courses and a grade of C or higher in the remaining required courses.
To see how this may transfer into other Anoka Technical College programs or into another college, please visit:
The work environment is dynamic and fast-paced. The work is challenging, highly technical, and complex. The performance of this vital department has a major impact on the smooth operation of the many departments to which it provides products and services. Employment opportunities may be within hospitals, outpatient centers, and instrument processing centers.