Click for PDF copy.
When a student believes a valid complaint should be registered against any member of the staff about content or conduct of a course or grading, the following steps should be taken in the order indicated:
1. The student is advised to make an appointment with the instructor and explain the nature of the complaint and the reason for this belief. The instructor involved and the student should make every effort to resolve the issue. It is expected that most, if not all, misunderstandings will be resolved at this level.
2. If the student and instructor are not able to reach a satisfactory agreement, the student may, no later than ten (10) school days after the meeting with the instructor, request that a counselor arrange a meeting with the student, the instructor and the counselor to attempt to resolve the issue. The student shall complete an Academic Due Process Report Form (available at www.anokatech.edu
), outlining the nature of the complaint, and submit copies to the counselor and the instructor prior to the meeting. The counselor will schedule the meeting within five days after receiving the student request.
3. Should the issue be unresolved or should the decision be unacceptable to the student, the student may appeal, in writing, no later than five school days after the meeting to the Academic Dean. The Academic Dean will then call a meeting of the instructor, the student, and the counselor to attempt to resolve the problem within five days after receiving the student appeal request.
4. Should the issue still be unresolved or should the decision be unacceptable to the student, the student may appeal, in writing, no later than five school days after the meeting to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs of the college. The Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs shall notify the student of his/her decision, in writing, within ten (10) days after receiving the student appeal request. The decision of the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs is final.
5. With prior administrative notification and approval, the student may have an advocate present at any or all steps of the process.
NOTE: In this procedure, all parties involved shall keep written records of the time, date, and other pertinent facts relating to the nature of conferences in which they are involved.