Formal graduation ceremonies are held in December and May. Students who participate in the graduation ceremony are required to order and wear a cap and gown. Below are the procedures for participating in the commencement ceremony and graduating from the college:
1. Students must apply to graduate from Anoka Technical College regardless of their plans to attend the graduation/commencement ceremony. The graduation application is available on the college website and from the Records Office. Students submit a separate application for each award.
2. Students should meet with their academic advisors to ensure graduation requirements are met. If required by the program, the academic advisor also signs the graduation application.
3. Students need to submit a signed and completed graduation application to the Records Office by the deadline posted on the college website. For fall graduates who do not participate in priority registration, the application deadline is late October. For spring graduates who do not participate in priority registration, the application deadline is early April. Students submitting applications after the deadline may not be listed in the commencement program.
4. Students are encouraged to submit a graduation application prior to registering for their final semester courses so they can be given priority registration.
5. The Records Office reviews the graduation application, Degree Audit Report, and transcript to ensure all graduation requirements have been met or will be met if the student receives appropriate grades in the final semester. All students will receive an email confirming their graduation application status.
6. The Records Office notifies faculty by email of all approved and denied graduation applications.
7. If the application for graduation is not approved, students may file an appeal with the Dean of Student Affairs.
8. Graduates who achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 and above by the last semester completed prior to graduation will be identified in the graduation program with a special notation and will wear a gold honors cord. Graduates achieving a 4.0 cumulative GPA will also be identified in the graduation program with a special notation. The GPA calculations do not include final semester grades.
9. Veterans and service members will be acknowledged for their military service in the graduation program with a special notation. They will also wear red, white, and blue cords signifying their service.
10. Students who achieve a cumulative Anoka Technical College GPA of 3.5 and above at the time of award completion will receive a transcript notation indicating graduation with honors. Note that this calculation includes the final semester grades, which is different than the calculation in item 8.
11. Certificates, degrees, diplomas, and transcripts will be mailed approximately four to six weeks after graduation to all students who submitted a graduation application.
Unknown adoption date
04.2016 Amended to mirror language in the Student Handbook and Academic Affairs and Standards Council (AASC) recommend changes to requirements
05.2017 Updated to reflect elimination of graduation fee, cap and gown process, and other process details to reflect current practice
02.2019 Multiple updates to clarify and reflect current practice
04.2020 Clarifies language regarding graduation application, and updates practice on transcript notation for honors.