Procedure 4.8.2 College-Level Employee Development - Staff
Click for PDF copy.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Professional/Personal Growth
- Provide a quality program of coordinated and continuous development for all eligible staff.
- Promote each individual’s professional and personal growth.
- Promote Anoka-Ramsey Community College’s goal to become a “College of Choice” and Anoka Technical College’s goal to “become an employer of Choice.”
- Provide staff development training opportunities in a variety of venues.
- Improve job performance and productivity.
- Improve interpersonal communication.
- Improve opportunities to further career goals.
- Encourage participation in staff development activities.
- Improve opportunity for lifelong learning.
- Improve opportunity for personal growth.
- Academic Pursuits
- Provide employees the ability to pursue academic credit courses that leads to a degree.
- Promote/encourage importance of higher education for all staff.
- Promote the goal of Anoka-Ramsey Community College’s and Anoka Technical College to become “College of Choice”
- Enhance the academic achievements of all eligible staff members.
- Promote lifelong learning opportunities and academic attainments.
- Support personal /professional development for all eligible staff members.
- Eligible employees:
- Members of AFSCME, Commissioner’s Plan, Managerial Plan, MAPE, or MMA.
- Staff who have completed six months of employment or initial probation with Anoka-Ramsey Community College or Anoka Technical College are:
- Full-time unlimited
- Part-time unlimited
- Full-time seasonal
- Part-time seasonal
- Ineligible employees:
- Intermittent, temporary, and emergencies (may participate in group activities offered for the entire staff).
- Employees on leave of absence.
- Employees in their initial six months of employment with Anoka-Ramsey Community College or Anoka Technical College.
- Eligible Activities:
- Credit Courses (employee must pay for the class; reimbursement will be upon proof of completion of class with a C or better).
- Seminars, workshops, and non-credit courses.
- Job-related training defined as clearly and directly related to the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to attain, maintain or improve competence in performing current job responsibilities.
- Personal enrichment training that helps prepare an individual for future endeavors and prepares employees to perform at higher levels or at a more complex responsibility level than in the position they currently hold.
- Other learning opportunities that are approved by the supervisor, the Staff Development Committee and the Chief Human Resources Officer
- Non-Eligible Activities:
- For example, any Religious, Theology or Spirituality-based course or conference
- Contact Human Resources for any additional questions.
- Funding/reimbursement monitored by the Staff Development Committee:
- Total amount available each year is set at the beginning of the new fiscal year by Administration.
- Funds are available on a first come, first served basis, until depleted.
- The amount available to each employee is $400 per fiscal year for professional/personal growth opportunities and $400 per fiscal year for academic pursuits. (Can be a combined amount of $800 per fiscal year for academic pursuits.)
- Funding/reimbursement will include tuition, fees, and related expenses (books, materials, etc) for personal enrichment/academic pursuit. There will be no reimbursements from Staff Development funds for tutorial expenses, audits, travel, or meals that are related to academic pursuit.
- Professional pursuit reimbursement may include conference registration costs, travel costs, mileage, meals, and lodging.
- Classes, seminars, etc. taken during summer will be funded in the fiscal year in which the course is completed.
- Part-time employees will be funded/reimbursed the same percentage as their work assignment.
- Books may be returned for refund at book buyback with the money being returned to the Staff Development Fund.
- Funding/reimbursement not monitored by the Staff Development Committee:
- Tuition Waivers
- Wellness Committee (applicable to Anoka-Ramsey Community College only)
- Departmental Opportunities
See Staff Development Handbook for complete details.
12/2013 Adopted and aligned.